Friday, September 3, 2010

Convocation -- A Call to Study

This morning I attended the opening service for the 172nd academic year at Concordia Seminary in St. Louis.  It was for me the beginning of my 51st year of study as a life-long learner.  Granted, I can not give you a first-hand accounting of my "learning" during those earliest of years, but according to my mother it included most of the basics of human experience: walking, talking and even feeding myself.  I can, though, attest to the challenge that issued this morning -- it was a renewed call to be a follower, a learner, and a doer of the Word of God.

I have been called back to finish what I started.  Several years ago, I had started a new course of study at Concordia, but at the same time, I've also been teaching -- part-time at Fontbonne, and then this past year, I took a leave of absence from my studies to pursue a visiting professorship at Handong University in Korea. 

While I had wonderful students and colleagues at Handong and fruitful times of teaching there, I sensed a persistent call to return to my studies here and devote myself more diligently to embodying the truths I'm learning.  In short, to follow the pattern set by Ezra -- to study, practice and then to teach. Even before attending this morning's convocation at Concordia, I read in my devotional time from 2 Corinthians 8.  I heard again His Word to me today: "it is best for you now to complete what . . .  you began not only to do but to desire" (RSV).

So, I have undertaken to finish, by God's grace, what I started.  While study will be my first priority in these coming days, I am, though, continuing to teach part-time at Fontbonne and a Bible class at my home church, West Hills.  What I'm purposing, though, is only to teach what I have first studied and sought to put into practice.  In these posts, I'll reflect on those endeavors as I seek to progress along the Tao of life-long learning by wholly following after him who is Way.

No comments:

Post a Comment