Monday, September 27, 2010

Practicing a Singular Life

One of my students at Fontbonne recently asked why I left the practice of law to become a teacher. When I have attempted to offer an answer to this question in the past, I usually end-up giving way more information than what the person who asked the question had anticipated, I'm sure.

Since the student who asked me was himself looking forward to going to law school and becoming a lawyer, I did not want my answer to convey that the profession of law was in any way unworthy of his pursuit.  To pursue it, though, we must be responding to a call.

Whether it is a call to law or a call to teach, we must, in order to respond, seek to understand how we have been individually designed and equipped to serve others.  When I initially pursued the practice of law, I was attempting to serve others, but somewhere along the way I began to live a duplicitous life.

The Scriptures teach us that "a double-minded man is unstable in all his ways."   Rather than seeking to serve others, I became more and more consumed by the ways of the world. (1 John 2:16).  Had I continued on that path, it would, for me, have been a road to desolation.

I was graciously enabled to depart from that road in order to seek to practice a singular life.  Now, I am, by God's grace, seeking to become what I have been designed and equipped to do for others.  That pursuit leads me to attempt to teach others what I have studied and am learning of the law and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment